R. Scott Bakker's "The False Sun"


This from Bakker's blog:

A new Atrocity Tale is up.

I had a lot of fun with this one, reaching back, as it does, to a pivotal moment in Far Antiquity. So much so, that it’s got me thinking about the way serial fantasy demands so much more of readers than any genre short of experimental avante garde stuff. Writing “The False Sun” felt… I dunno, thick, semantically dense in a way that my return to philosophical concerns can’t hope to. A fantasy world is a reality where Soul and World are coextensive. Our world (or even worse, the world of the Blind Brain Theory) is one where the Soul has shrunk to a delusional ember, and ‘profundity’ is little more than bell cruelly tied to a lap-dog’s tale.

But the very reason I enjoyed writing “The False Sun” so much is also the reason I need to issue a SEVERE SPOILER ALERT. The Second Apocalypse is big, so big that the narrative and thematic dimensions only come into collective focus here and there. ”The False Sun” is a story about the origins of the Consult, and so brings together the historical and metaphysical dimensions of the greater saga in a decisive way. Nothing is spoiled in terms of plot, but in terms of setting, this story cuts against the way the details of the World have been rationed over the course of the series. Drawing the curtain back on Golgotterath is something I’ve reserved for The Unholy Consult.

Thus the spoiler alert: Reading “The False Sun” will have a profound impact on your reading of The Unholy Consult, and if you are as jealous of your narrative surprises as I am, you might want to set this story on the back-burner.

Otherwise, dig in. There’s several things that I’m not certain about, and as always I appreciate any kind of feedback that can help me put these or other qualms to bed
.

You can read "The False Sun" here.

Here's a handy timeline to help you along the way.

3 commentaires:

Cursed Armada said...

Wow, that was powerful... Another person commented on his blog about Bakker's writing and I think he summed it up perfectly... "His writing is biblical, and sounds almost like scripture." I hope he continues with these and releases them in a leather bound collection;) Hey a guy can dream can't he? lol if I get The Hobbit, Game of Thrones Season 2, AND The Unholy Consult in 2012 I'll die a happy man!

Anonymous said...

This has quickly become my favourite fantasy series period.

Super detailed world, complex characters.

F'n awesome!!

Anonymous said...

It's a real treat to watch his evolution as a fantasy writer. The best in the business, IMO.