NFL SHOWDOWN: GRRM vs Pat: The Verdict

Well, though it was heart-warming to see the Eagles beat the Giants, George nonetheless won our NFL wager for a second year in a row. What a football season!!! The Arizona Cardinals nearly won the Super Bowl!!!

As the winner, GRRM gets to select three books for me to read and review. I recently received an email letting me know what I'd be reading first:

Okay, so you didn't like Vance. I'll try not to hold that against you, Pat.

I do feel the need to use at least some of my "winnings" to point you -- and through you, perhaps, some of your readers as well -- toward some of the classics of fantasy, the books and writers who made the field what it is today, the giants on whose shoulders today's writers are standing.

You say you haven't read any Peter S. Beagle. Clearly we have to do something about that. Beagle is still writing fine stuff today, but remains best known for two novels that he wrote back in the 60s. THE LAST UNICORN is his best known work, and it's a wonderful book, but my own favorite is A FINE AND PRIVATE PLACE, so that's the first title that I'm going to make you read and review. I'm sure you can get it on Amazon, used if not new. I hope you'll enjoy it more than you did the Vance.

So I'll be reading Peter S. Beagle's A Fine and Private Place in the coming weeks. For more info about this title: Canada, USA, Europe.

10 commentaires:

Larry Nolen said...

Cool! I have Beagle's upcoming collection to read and while I haven't read that particular story, I do like his prose and storytelling. Curious to see what you'll make of it, since Beagle's style is closer to that of Patricia McKillip than it would be to say a Steven Erikson. Good stuff, either way.

Anonymous said...

I hope he makes you read A Dance with Dragons pretty soon

Anonymous said...

I can't see you enjoying Beagle's work.

Anonymous said...

Pat, what was George's end of the bet if he lost?

Anonymous said...

I've heard that The Last Unicorn is suppose to be really good. I haven't heard of A Fine and Private Place, so it'll be interesting to see what you have to say about it.

Patrick said...

If he lost the bet, George was to create a character based on me who would die a gruesome death in whatever ASOIAF volume he was writing.

Anonymous said...

ah, what an awesome prize that would be. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to that review.

Better luck next year !

Anonymous said...

i think you are the "reason"why it took so long to release ADWD.
because that stupid wager,he waited until you win.
i think wee must suffer another boring football season.sigh.

Sweetmartin

Carrie said...

I enjoyed A Fine and Private Place, myself. I'll be interested to see what you think of it!