The 2006 Hugo Awards

I've said it before and I'll say it again: William's blog is terrific! Here is a knowledgeable guy who writes good reviews and interesting articles. Earlier this week he wrote a piece criticizing the Hugo Awards. Whether you agree with him or not, I believe that he nailed it right on the head when he elaborated on what he considered to be the shortcomings of the format and the voting system.

Interestingly enough, his thoughts sparked up a lively debate. And as such, I think that many readers here would find that debate very informative. Hell, even Scott Lynch and George R. R. Martin dropped by to add their own two cents! Don't they know that they can do the same on this blog!?!;-)

You can read William's article here. Feel free to share your thoughts, as there are already something like 50 comments to his post. . .

2 commentaires:

Neth said...

Don't they know that they can do the same on this blog!?!;-)

I know what you mean - I'd love more authors to post at my blog.


Some interesting discussions going on over there, and I landed right in the middle of them. Fun - we'll see how much they die down over the holiday weekend (at least it's a holiday in the States).

I wonder what i could blog about to get over 50 comments.

Race said...

Kevin does make some good points. But he also shakes off legitimate criticisms by calling them trite, and of course the ad hominem attacks are always fun too.

As for the plaques... why do they even need the winners name on them? Couldnt they just say.... Best Novel 2006 ?

While Stegos. guess of 505 was way off, don't you think that if the mebership could vote at World con, many of those who did in fact pre buy but forgot or didnt get around to voting might do so? even if only 10% buy at the door that still as many members as actually vote for the hugos. I think 10% turnout is pretty poor. they could easlity double or tripleit I'd think by allowing electronic balloting at the con. Just because some things have been tried before doesnt mean they should never be tried again. Today's technology would make it much easier than in the past.